Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Spring Chores

We don't do much in fall as far as outside chores go.
We don't rake, cut back the gardens, plant bulbs, or remove bulbs. I am usually too busy crafting, and never in the mood.
I save it all for the spring. I am so excited to get to it, so I figure that is the best time to tackle things like painting adirondack chairs, rake, mulch, prune, clean out the hen house, feed the plants, and stain the deck.


Oh, the deck.
Because we decided to paint it, it needs to be done. Every. Year.
Usually that just involves painting the floor of the deck, but this year the balusters really needed to be done.
We use white outdoor stain that has held up really well for the past seven years. No chipping or peeling. It's just that they were green, and black, kind of moldy looking. I opted to repaint them instead of cleaning them. I didn't want the chemicals to go in the garden that outlines the deck.
It was a lot of work, but I am so glad it is done.
Next on the list is to get some grapes and an herb garden planted, maybe another hydrangea patch.
What are your spring chores this year?

7 comments:

Renee said...

Looks fantastic!!
Mostly yard work and cleaning up after the storms. In June I'll sand and repaint our windows and doors.

QuiltedSimple said...

It looks lovely.....I didn't clean out my flowerbeds last fall, and so I have all of them to cut back and clean out, and with all the rain it's been tough to get out there at all....hopefully over the next few days I can get it all done.....

ColorSlut said...

Looks like you are ready for spring/summer! Can't wait to see what you guys are up to this warm summer!

Jen Kershner said...

Gorgeous! And all those porches! What a lucky girl.

ELP said...

Your porches look beautiful. We have had such a cool, WiNDY, wet spring, this is the first weekend that the sun is out. And boy do we have work to do in the yard. My front yard is good and the flowers are blooming but the back look sad.
Seeing your blog has given me some motivation, thanks.

caknitter said...

The deck looks gorgeous. Your house needs to be featured in a House and Home magazine.

Affordable Medical Insurance said...

Can't wait to see what you guys are up to this warm summer!